Boozy Orange Hot Chocolate
When it starts getting cold outside and you're turning on the heat in your apartment or house, it's the right time to indulge a little and warm yourself up with this treat. The concept of this drink is very easy and versatile and can be adapted to an endless array of different flavors. It starts by infusing the milk with whatever flavor you like and that you'd like to pair with whatever liquor you like.
In this case, it is milk, infused with orange zest and then spiked with orange liqueur (Cointreau). Use good dark chocolate and it's not overly sweet.
Ingredients are for a single serving, but lets be honest, you want at least make a double batch for yourself before even thinking about sharing.
- Whole Milk - 2/3 cup
- Heavy Cream - 1/4 cup
- Orange - zest of one
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate - 2 oz
- Cointreau - 1 fl. oz.
- Whipped Cream - for topping
- Zest the orange and combine with the milk and cream in a saucepan
- Over medium high heat, bring to a boil, stirring frequently
- Put the chocolate chunks into the bottom of your measuring cup (which you've been using to measure out the milk/cream anyway.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to pour the hot milk over the chocolate and let sit for a minute or two.
- Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and combined with the milk
- Pour back into the pot to reheat to your desired drinking temperature.
- Put a shot of Cointreau in the bottom of your mug and top with the hot chocolate.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and an orange twist for decoration and enjoy!