- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Skillet
I wish I could tell you that this dish is not as bad as it sounds. That there are veggies, so it must be healthy. But I can't. This dish is presumably bad for you. But it is also worth it.
It started with me feeling a weird craving for tater tots, when I left the gym after an early Saturday morning workout. All I had before was a banana, and after deadlifting, push pressing and whatnot, I was hella hungry. So I found myself stopping at Safeway on the way home to purchase a bag of frozen tater tots and then spending the rest of the tram ride thinking about what to do with them.
You see the result in the picture above. I've added some sharp cheddar cheese, sauteed veggies, bacon, and poached eggs and sprinkled some parsley for a green attire as well as a chipotle aioli for heat. And it was all I was craving and more. Very satisfying for my specific longings and enough to have leftovers for the evening.
Do I still feel a little bad about it? Yes. Would I do it again? Also, yes!
And you should, too!
- Tater Tots - about 12 oz
- Red Bell Pepper - Cut in strips
- Small White Onion - Cut in strips
- Thick Cut Bacon - 4 slices
- Sharp Cheddar - 1/2 cup, grated
- Italian Parsley - 1 tbsp, minced
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo - 1 tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Cook the tater tots according to the instructions on the label.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until most fat is rendered and its nicely browned. Set aside and let drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of the bacon grease and sautee onion and peppers with a pinch of salt and pepper until nice and soft.
- When the tater tots are done, increase the heat in the oven to 400° F and put the tots into a large bowl.
- Add veggies, chopped up bacon, and give it a good mix.
- Pour the mixture into a medium sized cast iron skillet and sprinkle with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400° F for about 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted.
- While the skillet bakes, mix mayonnaise and chopped chipotles with adobo sauce and set aside.
- Poach two eggs just until the whites have set and the yolks are still runny.
- Drizzle the baked tots with chipotle aioli, arrange the poached eggs on top, and sprinkle with parsley.