- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-10 minutes
Perfectly boiled Eggs
For most of my life I was struggling with achieving the perfect soft boiled egg. If I did, it was often more by accident than anything else. Until I stumbled upon an episode of "America's Test Kitchen" which was dedicated to eggs. And sure enough, they came up with instructions that yield the perfect result, every single time, regardless of initial temperature, or size of your eggs. It even works for any number of eggs from 1 to 6, and I've adapted the method to hard boiled and waxy eggs for up to 8.
Every time, I have one of those perfect little eggs, I send a mental "Thank you" note to Christopher Kimball, and after you try it out, so will you!
- Eggs - 1 - 6, any size
The eggs can come directly from the fridge, no need to bring them to room temperature. The instructions work for 1 to 6 eggs from medium over large to extra-large size.
- In a small saucepan that can hold the desired quantity of eggs in one layer, add about 1/2 inch of water.
- Over medium high heat, bring to a rolling boil.
- Add eggs into water and cover. Keep heat on medium high.
- Cook eggs to the desired result and immediately shock with iced water to stop the cooking process. Cooking times are:
- 6:30 minutes for soft boiled eggs,
- 8:00 minutes for waxy eggs, and
- 9:30 minutes for hard boiled eggs.
- Let rest for a few minutes, then peel and enjoy!