- Yield: 1
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
Passionate Rum Punch
Recently I've been mildly obsessing over rum punch and its variations. It all started after having the house special rum punch at one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco, Farmer Brown. I took a picture from the menu in order to remember all the ingredients because I was sober enough to know that I won't remember the next morning. I've been trying to recreate the very same drink for quite a while. But during the process I was also straying away from the original ingredients, partially because I didn't have everything on hand the ingredient list asked for, partially because of new ideas.
One outcome of this testing bonanza is what I call "Punch with Passion" that marries my love of passion fruit to my obsession with rum punches and after to or three iterations - who is counting anyway - the following recipe is the result.
*I usually prepare a pitcher full of the punch base and keep it in the fridge so all I have to do is pour it over ice, add the ginger beer, and grate some fresh nutmeg. Just multiply all ingredients, lets say by 8 which essentially means, replace the "fl. oz." measure by "cups" and you're good to go. How easy is that?
- Brown Rum, I use Mount Gay - 2 fl. oz
- Countreau - 1 fl. oz
- Lemon Juice - 1/2 fl. oz
- Lime Juice - 1/2 fl. oz
- Orange Juice - 2/3 fl. oz
- Passion Fruit Juice or Purree - 2/3 fl. oz
- Ginger Beer - 8 fl. oz
- Nutmeg - freshly grated
- Mix all the ingredients except the nutmeg and ginger beer in a cocktail shaker.
- Add plenty of good ice, close, and shake vigorously until really cold.
- Fill a glass - I like to use a mason jar - with ice cubes and strain the mix in it.
- Top off with the ginger beer, stir gently, and grate some fresh nutmeg on top
- Decorate with a slice of lemon/lime