"That's my jam", is what was going through my head when I first came accross the recipe this. I'm a big fan of chutneys and other sweet & savory spreads. They can elevate a simple dish like a sandwich into something really amazing. So this is pretty much ketchup for grownups and who doesn't like that!?
Unfortunately, the recipe calls for fresh tomatoes and while you can buy fresh potatoes year round in Germany, 8 months out of the year, they are just red waterbombs. So I just went ahead and used canned tomatoes. Those are harvested at the peak of ripeness and barely processed. Plus they're already skinned which is a nice add-on. I also changed the type of vinegar that goes in there and added some salt since the fish sauce alone doesn't yield enough seasoning.
- Tomato Chunks - 2 x 14.5oz/400g cans
- Garlic - 4 large gloves
- Ginger - 1oz / 30g
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - 1 tsp
- Dark Brown Sugar - 1 cup
- Sherry Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Balsamic Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Thai Fish Sauce - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Put the contents of one can of tomatoes, the peeled garlic and ginger, and the red pepper flakes into a blender or food processor and run until smooth.
- Pour this mixture in a heavy bottom sauce pan and add the contents of the second can of tomatoes.
- Stir in sugar, vinegars, salt, and fish sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a hard simmer and cook for 30 - 45 minutes until the mixture is dark and has thickened.
- Fill into prepared jars and let cool.